[opensuse-buildservice] openSUSE Build Service 1.0 Release Candidate available
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 13:19:51 +0200

We just released the Build Service 1.0 release candidate. The final release is
expected in two weeks.

Most important about this release are the improvements in source handling.
Submissions to foreign projects are possible now. That does mean that after
two years of development, direct work on openSUSE distribution becomes
possible, with bugzilla in between ! You see, we need sometimes a bit longer,
but we keep our promises :)

The Build Service at http://build.opensuse.org is already running it, so it
can be already used for submissions. You just need the current osc from
openSUSE:Tools project.

When editing a package in openSUSE:Factory, you work usually on a branch of
the maintainers project. In this way everybody can work close together with
the official maintainers.

These mechanism are usable via the osc command line client already. But the
functionality is provided by the server, so I hope we can easily make the same
functionality accessible in the other clients soon.

We have a wiki page describing the way how to use this:

http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service/Collaboration

We expect still some rough edges in the functionality, but only practical
usage will show them. A 1.1 has been added to the roadmap, which can improve
these use cases:

http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service/Roadmap

Please keep in mind that Factory is frozen atm to get 11.0 out of the door. So
submissions will not get check in in the next week. But they can get already
prepared :)

have fun
Your Build Service Team