Re: [opensuse-buildservice] RFC: small patch for "osc commit" with big effect
  • From: Christian Boltz <opensuse@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 21:36:49 +0200
Hello,

on Mittwoch, 21. Mai 2008, Peter Poeml wrote:
The package changelog is often quite different from the commit
changelog.
Having some automatic that transports changes forth and back may make
sense in some cases. I'm looking forward to
suggestions/implementations.

Agreed.

I'd like to add that IMHO all things that go to the package changelog
should also be listed in the commit changelog.

An idea for the new "interactive" commit where osc calls $EDITOR: [1]
Open $EDITOR with some type of template, for example:

OSC-START-PACKAGE-CHANGELOG
OSC: enter lines that should appear in the package changelog:

OSC-START-COMMIT-LOG
OSC: enter lines that should only appear in the commit log:

OSC:
OSC: Modified files:
OSC: mypackage.spec
OSC: Added files:
OSC: fix-foobar.patch
OSC:
OSC: (every line starting with OSC: is ignored)

The keywords are OSC-START-PACKAGE-CHANGELOG and OSC-START-COMMIT-LOG
which mark the beginning of the two sections, and "^OSC:" as comment
marker.
The comments include a short summary about the changed/added/removed
files, which is usually a good reminder for the user.

The two OSC-START-... keywords could also be used with -m.

The only remaining question is how changelog entries without a
OSC-START-... keyword should be handled. I vote for "add to package
changelog also" in this case - better too much than incomplete ;-)

Regards,

Christian Boltz

[1] no, I didn't test it - seems the package in the buildservice doesn't
have the "open $EDITOR on commit" feature yet.
--
If you break it, you own both parts.