Re: [opensuse-buildservice] End Of Life: SUSE Linux 10.1 and Fedora 6
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 17:30:53 +0200
On Tuesday 15 April 2008 16:57:59 wrote Dirk Stoecker:
On Tue, 15 Apr 2008, Adrian Schröter wrote:
The point is that we do not want to support not supported distrubtions.
This a global policy. I you do not like it please discuss it on -project.
If people do stand up and say they are maintaining it, we can get it
back. But in the past no one wanted to do that.

Has there really ever been a discussion about that in the correct way?
This means seperating between the two major topics "support" and "supply".

Actually the buildservice and the stuff therein is a way of support of
older distributions. New packages for older distributions aren't only new.
Usually they fix bugs and vulnerabilities as well. And the Novell
responsibility for this is only the "supply"-part and not "support".

If the policy is to drop any reference to old distributions, what about a
new domain unsupported.opensuse.org delivering this old stuff. This way
everybody would notice it is unsupported and in switching the install
targets also agrees explicitely to this state.

This is a possibility yes, but it does not exist yet.

mls reminded me meanwhile that we accutually wanted to move the base projects
in the OBS below "DISCONTINUED:" namespace, but remove the repos building
against the original one.

And please don't redirect me to -project. Won't have any sense. If a real
discussion should be done it must be started and done by Novell members.

well, we as a build service will not work against the opensuse.org rules. So,
if you want to change this, you need to go there.

And please, please stall the project removal until such a discussion has
been held.

The Buildservice already includes other distributions, where Novell does
not do any support. Why can't it include older Novell distributions
without Novell support?

You say there are some base distros missing in my list ? ;)