Re: [opensuse-buildservice] End Of Life: SUSE Linux 10.1 and Fedora 6
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 15:17:54 +0200
On Tuesday 15 April 2008 14:26:50 wrote Dirk Stoecker:
On Tue, 15 Apr 2008, Adrian Schröter wrote:
due to the fill rate of 80% on our storage, end of Life of the
distributions and mirror admins complains about the size of our
content, we will remove the following base distros and all repositories
building against them:

* SUSE Linux 10.1

This is 2 years old. Could we agree, that a server life cycle should be
something about 5 years?

if there is someone, who wants to do maintenance for SL 10.1, I am fine
with that. But in the past, no one wanted to do it.

That has nothing to do with maintenance. Nobody talked about updating the
distibution.

The policy is to remove all traces of that one to show the users that it does
not exist anymore. Also the main ftp repo will go away, so even when you
build something, it might not be installable, because of lack of the main ftp
repo.

We had this discussion a year ago and the situation did not change. A
lot of root servers do not provide current suse releases, but only older
ones. Removing these again in BuildService makes the whole BuildService
concept somewhat useless.

This not true, we doubled already the hard disc size and run out of space
again. On the other side, our mirrors are not able to handle it anymore,
while random people simply add several Gigabytes to their projects
without thinking. Therefore we will enforce this a bit more via quotas in
the future.

Then what about not mirroring older parts? That solves the problem with
mirrors.

that is an approach which does exist already.

BTW: Lots of newer stuff doesn't even build for the older distributions
and is usually disabled.

And I have nothing against quotas.

Please define the project goals and make a clear decision about the
supported targets. This 5 minute before the end notices are not
acceptable for anyone using the BuildService in a more commercial sense.

no one said five minutes. But when you want to copy it for your own
instances, you should do it now.

Well, I did not talk about own instances. I started using BuildService and
building all the geodesy stuff I do to have a stable reference for the
packages. I started to spread the links to the BuildService download
spaces. Now they get removed faster than anyone could expect and you tell
me to go back to the old method of building the stuff for myself. Now
what's the advantage of BuildService then?

sorry, but that is not a serious question. Supported distros are still there
and if you need to build for older ones you can still do so on your own
systems. This was the intention of the initial mail.

If you do not like that openSUSE has only a 2 years life time, it would be
better to discuss this on -project. But you should have some suggestion how
to achieve this, since it is plenty of work ...

I switched to BuildService to allow customers to have easier
installation of some packages. When you stop providing the repositories
after such short times, the use of BuildService is limited to the Linux
enthusiasts, as nearly everybody else uses older distributions.

In that case we would have a way bigger problem beyond the build service,
because that means that all these instances are vulnerable and no one is
caring about the security of their systems.

Agreed.

But this is nothing YOU (or I) can change!

There are still SUSE 6 installations out there. I know of running RedHat
pre-Fedora installations. And BTW there are still Win 3.1 installations.
And there is a big difference between a 2-5 year old distibution we are
talking about and the 1-15 year old stuff in the wild. I do not even want
to convince you to support these. But 5 years is like a must.

as said before, you should discuss this on -project. We do just follow the
official rules.

I cannot tell our customers to resetup their servers now and then. Instead
of buying stuff from us they would go elsewhere. So the questions is, can
BuildService provide the support packages or do I need to go back to the
old method of providing all this support stuff ourselves.

P.S. Could you stop to send each email twice? Or reconfigure the
mailinglist to detect CC's.

Ciao