Re: [opensuse-buildservice] End Of Life: SUSE Linux 10.1 and Fedora 6
  • From: Dirk Stoecker <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 14:26:50 +0200 (CEST)
On Tue, 15 Apr 2008, Adrian Schröter wrote:

due to the fill rate of 80% on our storage, end of Life of the
distributions and mirror admins complains about the size of our content,
we will remove the following base distros and all repositories building
against them:

* SUSE Linux 10.1

This is 2 years old. Could we agree, that a server life cycle should be
something about 5 years?

if there is someone, who wants to do maintenance for SL 10.1, I am fine with
that. But in the past, no one wanted to do it.

That has nothing to do with maintenance. Nobody talked about updating the distibution.

We had this discussion a year ago and the situation did not change. A lot
of root servers do not provide current suse releases, but only older ones.
Removing these again in BuildService makes the whole BuildService concept
somewhat useless.

This not true, we doubled already the hard disc size and run out of space
again. On the other side, our mirrors are not able to handle it anymore,
while random people simply add several Gigabytes to their projects without
thinking. Therefore we will enforce this a bit more via quotas in the future.

Then what about not mirroring older parts? That solves the problem with mirrors.

BTW: Lots of newer stuff doesn't even build for the older distributions and is usually disabled.

And I have nothing against quotas.

Please define the project goals and make a clear decision about the
supported targets. This 5 minute before the end notices are not acceptable
for anyone using the BuildService in a more commercial sense.

no one said five minutes. But when you want to copy it for your own instances,
you should do it now.

Well, I did not talk about own instances. I started using BuildService and building all the geodesy stuff I do to have a stable reference for the packages. I started to spread the links to the BuildService download spaces. Now they get removed faster than anyone could expect and you tell me to go back to the old method of building the stuff for myself. Now what's the advantage of BuildService then?

I switched to BuildService to allow customers to have easier installation
of some packages. When you stop providing the repositories after such
short times, the use of BuildService is limited to the Linux enthusiasts,
as nearly everybody else uses older distributions.

In that case we would have a way bigger problem beyond the build service,
because that means that all these instances are vulnerable and no one is
caring about the security of their systems.

Agreed.

But this is nothing YOU (or I) can change!

There are still SUSE 6 installations out there. I know of running RedHat pre-Fedora installations. And BTW there are still Win 3.1 installations. And there is a big difference between a 2-5 year old distibution we are talking about and the 1-15 year old stuff in the wild. I do not even want to convince you to support these. But 5 years is like a must.

I cannot tell our customers to resetup their servers now and then. Instead of buying stuff from us they would go elsewhere. So the questions is, can BuildService provide the support packages or do I need to go back to the old method of providing all this support stuff ourselves.

P.S. Could you stop to send each email twice? Or reconfigure the mailinglist to detect CC's.

Ciao