Re: [opensuse-buildservice] End Of Life: SUSE Linux 10.1 and Fedora 6
  • From: "Dr. Peter Poeml" <poeml@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 14:18:17 +0200
On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 02:01:38PM +0200, Dirk Stoecker wrote:
* SUSE Linux 10.1

This is 2 years old. Could we agree, that a server life cycle should be
something about 5 years?

Unfortunately, I'm forced to upgrade my (private) servers to 10.3
even... which will live only one more good year, before it's ditched.

The SLE10 target might help...

Instead of deleting the still used distributions and forcing everyone to
replace existing installations again and again, how about getting bigger
harddisks?

I was thinking it was one of the advantages of the buildservice that it
could make it possible to still build software for older products...

Example: SUSE 10.1 is the newest one to get for Strato V-Servers.

Indeed, I'm telling this product management all the time...

We shouldn't try to "force" ISPs at the expense of our users.

We had this discussion a year ago and the situation did not change. A lot
of root servers do not provide current suse releases, but only older ones.
Removing these again in BuildService makes the whole BuildService concept
somewhat useless.

What do you want:
- Provide a widely used BuildService
- Provide a user community openSUSE:Factory building system

Please define the project goals and make a clear decision about the
supported targets. This 5 minute before the end notices are not acceptable
for anyone using the BuildService in a more commercial sense.

Exactly. Those "I'll remove xy now" is not acceptable to the community.

It makes the whole thing unpredictable, and makes it appear to be lead
in an arbitrary fashion.

I would like to see such things driven more by consensus.

Thanks,
Peter

SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Research & Development