Re: [opensuse-buildservice] openSUSE and QT locale againt gettext
  • From: Dirk Stoecker <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 16:32:54 +0100 (CET)
On Sat, 29 Mar 2008, Nikolay Derkach wrote:

to make it a bit more user freindly I want to translate merkaartor (in
Application:Geo). This is a QT4 software with tr()'s everywhere in the
source, but no localisation done yet.

Now my questions is - how to do that for linux? QT uses the linguist and
it's own fileformat, whereas under linux gettext is used. Is there a style
guide or a generic approach for QT localization under Linux? I know KDE
uses gettext as well, but never looked into the details. I also did not
find something helpful when using Google. Any tips?

There is a pretty good general explanation in the official Qt
documentation: http://doc.trolltech.com/4.3/i18n.html

This answer how to translate Qt. That was not the question. The question is "How to translate Qt in the context of Linux, which is using a different system called gettext". This are two totally different things.

Topics here are:
- Is there a way to use gettext instead of Qt internal format
- In case Qt internal is recommended, where are the Qt-files to be stored
- How is the packaging done and lots of stuff like that.

If you have any exact questions, feel free to ask.

I already did. Reread my text.

Ciao