Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Can I stop revision incrementing?
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 16:36:09 +0100
On Thursday 27 March 2008 16:20:40 wrote John Calcote:
Thank you both - this is very helpful information. Yes, I like to
maintain a bit of control over my package version numbers. I'm pretty
careful, so I don't think this will cause me problems. :)

well, it will, for example when you build against openSUSE:Factory.

Your package might become incompatible (because of lower lib changes), but
installer tools will not update it, because the number stays.

So one can only to recommend not to touch this ...

bye
adrian

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 9:16 AM, Dominique Leuenberger

<Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 3/27/2008 at 17:03, "John Calcote" <john.calcote@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm wondering if there's a way to stop the revision number from
> incrementing with each modification of a project's sources.
>
> When I first discovered the ability to disable publication, I thought
> that NOT publishing would stop automatic revision incrementing -- it
> seemed logical to me that because a package hasn't been published yet,
> there is no reason to increment the revision number between builds. In
> individual development, one doesn't increment the revision number
> unless a revision has become public. However, this appears not to be
> true - the revision is auto-incremented even if no repository of a
> package is published.
>
> Any thoughts would be appreciated.

As pointed out in
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-buildservice/2007-06/msg00062.html you
can change it with
osc meta -e prjconf <yourproject>

and add a line
Release: <CI_CNT>

for example... it will still recompile the packages whenever something
in the dependency chain get's updated, but your packages will not reflect
this behavior. I'm not sure if that's actually I thing you want to do.

Another idea might be that you want to 'tag' your builds (in the form
PackMan does): then probably a
Release: <CI_INT>.mybuild.<B_INT>
should give you a similar effect.

Not changing the version number on a rebuild can impose the risk that an
underlying library might change, the API may remain stable but the ABI
changes.. then your app is very likely to crash, as it's not being
updated by the user (no indication, same version numbers).

Cheers,
Dominique