Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Can I stop revision incrementing?
  • From: "Dominique Leuenberger" <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 16:16:02 +0100
On 3/27/2008 at 17:03, "John Calcote" <john.calcote@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm wondering if there's a way to stop the revision number from
incrementing with each modification of a project's sources.

When I first discovered the ability to disable publication, I thought
that NOT publishing would stop automatic revision incrementing -- it
seemed logical to me that because a package hasn't been published yet,
there is no reason to increment the revision number between builds. In
individual development, one doesn't increment the revision number
unless a revision has become public. However, this appears not to be
true - the revision is auto-incremented even if no repository of a
package is published.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

As pointed out in
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-buildservice/2007-06/msg00062.html
you can change it with
osc meta -e prjconf <yourproject>

and add a line
Release: <CI_CNT>

for example... it will still recompile the packages whenever something in the
dependency chain get's updated, but your packages will not reflect this
behavior. I'm not sure if that's actually I thing you want to do.

Another idea might be that you want to 'tag' your builds (in the form PackMan
does):
then probably a
Release: <CI_INT>.mybuild.<B_INT>
should give you a similar effect.

Not changing the version number on a rebuild can impose the risk that an
underlying library might change, the API may remain stable but the ABI
changes.. then your app is very likely to crash, as it's not being updated by
the user (no indication, same version numbers).

Cheers,
Dominique