Re: [opensuse-buildservice] osc build
  • From: Dirk Stoecker <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 16:55:04 +0100 (CET)
On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, Michal Marek wrote:

Call

osc build openSUSE_10.2 i586 whatever.spec

Now do a

osc build openSUSE_10.3 i586 whatever.spec

osc will not recognice, that the build environment is totally different
and mixes the requirements, which will usually fail totally. But what if
it does not fail? Then the result will be very confusing.

Sure "--clean" in the call fixes this. But a better solution would be to
have a file e.g. ".environment-type" somewhere (e.g. in build path) and
this contains "openSUSE_10.2 i586". Now when the environment is different,
it should be cleared. Pretty straightforward I think :-)

Well, in case the repositories are very similar, you don't want to
rebuild the whole chroot from scratch. E.g. in server:php, we have:

openSUSE_10.3
server_apache_openSUSE_10.3
server_database_openSUSE_10.3

which only differ in the apache and mysql version, means you can switch
just fine. But I agree that the current way it works isn't exactly what
users would expect.

What about making the automatic clean configurable?

[general]
build-root-clean: never # never clean automatically
build-root-clean: arch-change # clean when architecture changes
build-root-clean: repo-change # clean when repo/arch changes (default)
build-root-clean: always # always clean

plus a --no-clean option to override the logic.

More than one month passed and nothing happend. I still run frequently into corrupt repositories due to changing repo.

Any plans to start fixing this?

Ciao