Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Automatically package a new upstream version
  • From: "John Calcote" <john.calcote@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 11:15:52 -0600
Anicka,

I believe that all of us are doing our best in upstreaming our patches.
Unfortunately, there are many situations, when it cannot be done - upstream
is
dead, upstream has another opinion, process takes very long, our patch is
SUSE-specific, our patch just workarounds some nasty bug that no one can
fix...

Yes, we should upstream as much as possible. But I am pretty sure that even
then we will have loads of patches. And I do not think that automatic update
that does not work on any of the more important packages is really helpful.

I appreciate your candor in this matter, however I've been on the
other end of this attitude in the past. I'm the maintainer of the
openslp project. I found out one day several years ago that SuSE had
several patches that would have been nice to have in the main code
base, but no one bothered to tell me that they even existed.

Perhaps it would be good for the community in general to have distro
packagers simply contact package maintainers through associated devel
mailing lists. A quick note on the list to say that the package has
been picked up by a distro, and that patches would be available at a
specific location. Then the packager wouldn't be committed to a
long-term relationship. The maintainer could check once in a while to
see what's out there.

John