Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Automatically package a new upstream version
  • From: Anicka Bernathova <anicka@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 18:06:23 +0100
that's why we need to be more active in upstreaming patches. We have
packages with an insane amount of patches, most of them fixing just
small problems which will be, even if after some modification, accepted
upstream. That's what we are trying to do on the GNOME part
(http://en.opensuse.org/GNOME/Projects/PatchUpstreaming), but it would
be great if the whole distro did the same. Then, Vincent's idea would be
much easier to implement correctly

I believe that all of us are doing our best in upstreaming our patches.
Unfortunately, there are many situations, when it cannot be done - upstream is
dead, upstream has another opinion, process takes very long, our patch is
SUSE-specific, our patch just workarounds some nasty bug that no one can fix...

Yes, we should upstream as much as possible. But I am pretty sure that even
then we will have loads of patches. And I do not think that automatical update
that does not work on any of the more important packages is really helpful.

Anicka