Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Some suggestions
  • From: Jan-Christoph Bornschlegel <jcborn@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 11:08:30 +0100
Hi Vaibhav,

Am Montag, 25. Februar 2008 schrieb Vaibhav Kaushal:
2. I am a student and I see that most of my friends do not run the
Linux system just because they think that it is too geeky to run that
or that it is really difficult. I know the friendliness of the system
is more than Windows, just that the rules are diff. But, I just wanted
if there could be a new 'STUDENT EDITION" of the distro in its new
avtars. The reason is: they want to use linux for the college classes
and such stuff. So, instead of pushing in much applications, why don't
you create a new edition of the Distro with the shell tools available
ion that. Such as gcc, make, dos2unix etc are missing in the CD
versions. So you can just put in more and more shell tools and reduce
on some of the messengers, browsers and photo management things.
Anyway those tools are not used much by the students new to Linux. So
that could be packed into one edition called as *student edition*.

This is a fine use case for kiwi, as Francis already mentioned.

You can make your own distribution with only the tools you need and leave
evertything else behind (since you are the one who knows).

You can use a mounted DVD as base repository so you can build your image with
no network usage at all.
If you install kiwi, you'll find some examples with it; one for a basic system
with KDE, and one other for a very small image. The latter has a lot of code
showing what you can do to get rid of things that are installed by some
packages but you don't need.

Kiwi also offers tons of deployment technology; you can use a live system, but
I guess an USB live system sounds much better for your use case since you can
carry your code with you.

Please use kiwi from here:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/Tools/<your distro>

Alternatively you could use the YaST2 Product Creator which is a comfortable
front end. You can't do all the tweaks, but it's more intuitive.

Did you already subscribe to the kiwi mailing list?

cheers,
Jan
--
Jan-Christoph Bornschlegel (Build Service Team)