Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Build Service Status
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 07:41:25 +0100
On Thursday 06 March 2008 00:08:46 wrote Cornelius Schumacher:
On Wednesday 05 March 2008 21:51, Dr. Peter Poeml wrote:
On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 09:40:26PM +0100, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
I would suggest to use <origin/> instead of <maintainedin/>.

We actually considered "origin" in the last buildservice meeting,
however it was felt that it is too misleading, souding too much like
upstream, which isn't the point in those case. Thus, we settled for
maintained_in.

For me "origin" doesn't sound like "upstream". It's a copy which clearly
has an origin. If this is origin is the upstream project, a maintained
version or something completely different isn't implied and also isn't
really relevant.

"maintainedin" is a bad choice for two reasons: First it doesn't fit
language-wise because it isn't a noun, so trying to use that in context
will create awkward sentences (see for example the wiki page where it's
already used), and second it implies that its meaning has something to do
with maintenance, which actually isn't true.

You speak about maintenance in the regard of maintenaining packages of
released distros, right ?
The field would be used for that as well most likely, but it would need to get
changed when branching openSUSE:12.3 from openSUSE:Factory .

For the Factory use case it
might coincidentally be true, that the project you copy from is the one
where packages are usually maintained, but in general this isn't the case.
The functionality is about copying or branching projects and packages, not
if and how these projects and packages are maintained.

I think, I am not sure how you use the word "maintained" here. Isn't it also a
kind of maintenance when ugrading the package for Factory as well ?

The field will not be used for copying or branching, but for finding the group
(or single) people who usually do take care about a package. Just that it
does it indirectly, by pointing to a project which can self-admin how they
work.