Re: [opensuse-buildservice] BuildService search engines gets unusable
  • From: "Dr. Peter Poeml" <poeml@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 16:42:40 +0100
Hi,

On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 12:51:46PM +0100, Dr. Peter Poeml wrote:
On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 01:32:35PM +0100, Dirk Stoecker wrote:
Hello,

with increasing number of packages, projects and texts, the search engine
gets more and more unusable.

For example to find an updated perl, I would enter perl in the search
engine. The result is an Timeout error. Also searching for ocaml results
in lots of entries.

I have an example right here. A minute ago, I searched for dkim
packages on software.opensuse.org. Found nothing -- never mind, so let's
look up postfix to see what's going on there.

Searching http://software.opensuse.org/search for postfix gives me 5
pages of results. Only 45 results, but 5 pages, and it is a bit hard to
get an overview here.

So here are some concrete suggestions:

1) a terse result view would be much more useful in the
first place.

2) I'm not sure if listing single (sub-)packages like -devel and
-debuginfo really makes sense here. If it does, they should be
grouped I guess.

3) There is no changelog. The package changelog would be very helpful.

4) There is no clear version number -- only the one that I (may be able
to) "visually" parse from the shown filename.

5) There is name of someone responsible and no way to get in touch

6) The "Go to OBS Project" link is not very helpful if it points into
openSUSE 10.3, because all packages there are void.

In addition, things like "sort order" "view open bugs", "link
to opensuse wiki", "file list" could be quite helpful here.

Thanks,
Peter

SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Research & Development