[opensuse-buildservice] Apt-get doesn't follow HTTP redirects
  • From: "G. Massera" <gmassera@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 14:50:01 +0100
Hello everybody,
I'm using the Build service to create packages for almost all
distribution currently present in the build service.
This is my repositories
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/EmmeG/
My user account is EmmeG
I also created repositories for Apt-based distributions: Debian and
xUbuntu... but I have problem to use them with apt because the main
server download.opensuse.org reply with a "302 Found" redirect that
apt-get consider an error !! :-( :-(
So, if a write in sources.list the following statement:

deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/EmmeG/ xUbuntu_7.10/

Then apt-get reply that it's impossible to fetch data because the server
reply with the error: "302 Found" :-( :-(
I searched on the web ... and I discovered that this problem was
reported since 2000 to apt developers... but I think that they don't
want to add the "feature" to honour the HTTP redirects in apt-get !! :-( :-(

If I inspect manually the HTTP 302 response, and I put directly the
hostname that mirror my repositories in this way:

deb ftp://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/repositories/home:/EmmeG/ xUbuntu_7.10/

all goes fine and I can use my repositories without problems. But
because the 302 is a temporary redirection, I cannot tell to my users to
use the host above!

What is the best solution to this problems ???

Thank you,
Gianluca