Re: [opensuse-buildservice] A different kernel is installed when installing kmp-packages: Wrong dependencies?
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 09:11:42 +0100
On Thursday 03 January 2008 16:20:16 wrote Johannes Kastl:
Hello everyone,

I hope you had a nice new years eve.

I ran into problems a while ago, because when trying to install
truecrypt from the security:/privacy/ repository. When installing the
package truecrypt, it somehow wanted to install trucrypt-kmp-bigsmp,
while I was running kernel-default. So it wanted to install
kernel-bigsmp, too.

well it is valid to install any of the kmp packages dependency wise, but of
course this does not help you here. I believe the installer should offer you
choices here instead of simply pick something.

What is going wrong there? Wrong dependencies in the packages? Problems
on my machines? Problem in apt (which I doubt, cos I tried zypper as well)?

actually, without checking this really, I believe it is a problem with apt.
apt tries to avoid to ask the user and is doing "best guess" installations
(that is the reason why our SLES people do not like it, because it can even
destroy a system).

Does zypper not offer you a list of choices in the same situation ? I mean
before any trucrypt-kmp-* package is installed ?

bye
adrian