Re: [opensuse-buildservice] openSUSE_10.3 x86_64: bz2 32bit devel files missing
  • From: "Ladislav Michnovič" <ladislav.michnovic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 11:06:16 +0100
2007/12/3, Werner Hoch <werner.ho@xxxxxx>:
Hi all,

I'm trying to build verilog for openSUSE 10.3 x86_64 with 32-bit
support.

The 32-bit devel library is missing.

Hi.
I'm not sure if your way is a good idea. Maybe yes, but...
There is no 32bit devel library for 64bit arch because all packages
should use 64bit. If you need a 32 bit package (It is necessary
sometimes), install it from 32bit distribution. So you can install, if
you really need that from i586 repository. It would also take a
correct dependencies with itself. Remember that you can have only one
devel package of a library in system. This is a guarantee that system
will use a correct libfoo.so that you meant to use and you have
installed it wittingly. So you can prefer a 32bit libfoo-devel.rpm
from i586 repository for chroot environment, but the package will not
be able to use 64bit foo library for compilation.
If I understand you correctly what you really want, the program have
separate 32 bit and 64 bit runtime binaries. If yes, you have to
create a own 32bit *.so file and name it e.g. lib32foo.so and make it
to point to 32bit library. *.so file is only a symbolic link which
tells the compilator which library you want to use for compiling. So
install a 32bit libbz2 rpm. Add manually in chroot a symlink to it and
name it differently (e.g libbz2-32bit.so). Then patch Makefile to use
libbz2-32bit.so when it's appropriate.

Anyone knows why there are no devel files for bz2 32-bit?
(/usr/lib/libbz2.a, /usr/lib/libbz2.so, ...?)

They are in devel rpm in i586 distribution. But you can not have
installed both 32 and 64 bit devel package of the same library.

Can I build that bz2-32bit-devel files in my home repo and use them to
build the verilog package.

Yes, this is possible. See above.

Can I use the original libbz2-1-32bit-1.0.4-42.x86_64.rpm runtime
library even if I haven't used it for building?

The question is if the built program will use it. The answer is no.

Regards Ladislav.