Re: [opensuse-buildservice] OSC changing the metadata format on update
  • From: "Dr. Peter Poeml" <poeml@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 11:59:02 +0100
Hi Jan,

On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 10:36:17AM +0100, Jan Blunck wrote:
It seems that osc is changing the metadata format during update WITHOUT A
WARNING. Since yesterday I get following errors:

Update: Kernel:Vanilla/kernel-source

the osc metadata of your working copy "."
has the wrong version (0.98), should be 0.97
please do a fresh checkout

I'm sharing the repositories of my buildservice sync scripts with my
workstation via NFS. It is totally insane that if I run an osc update on my
workstation I have to update the CVS server the buildservice sync script is
running on.

Annoyed,
Jan

Yes, unfortunate. I trip over it myself, occasionally.

In the very beginning, when the working copy metadata format was still in
development, the scheme "client version corresponds with the working
copy format version" was sufficient, but that's a long time ago. This
should have been decoupled, since metadata format hardly or never
changes. It should rather be versioned itself.

But: nothing broke for the old clients. In fact, the metadata format
didn't change at all.

A temporary workaround like
echo 0.97 > .osc/_osclib_version && osc ...
is safe.

Regarding a fix -- a look into osc/core.py check_store_version() shows
that there was never a need to actually add upgrade logic:

if v != __version__:
if v in ['0.2', '0.3', '0.4', '0.5', '0.6', '0.7', '0.8', '0.9',
'0.95', '0.96', '0.97', '0.98']:
# version is fine, no migration needed
f = open(versionfile, 'w')
f.write(__version__ + '\n')
f.close()
return

So far, the client simply stored the version number to denote that it
has touched the working copy.

I'd suggest that we introduce a new version number x.y for the working
copy, with x incremented for backwards incompatible changes and y
incremented for smaller changes. We can set it to 1.0 then now.

Comments?

Peter

SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Research & Development