Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Re: How secure is openSUSE build service?
  • From: Aniruddha <mailing_list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 08:09:51 +0100

On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 22:49 -0500, Rajko M. wrote:
On Friday 02 November 2007 08:24:51 pm Aniruddha wrote:
On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 20:08 -0500, Rajko M. wrote:
On Friday 02 November 2007 06:08:36 am Aniruddha wrote:
[...]

I don't get it. Why is it that Ubuntu/Debian/FreeBSD/Gentoo/PCLinuxOS
can easily offer restricted formats from their own repositories? In what
way is openSUSE different that it can't provide the same functionality?

BTW, this topic was beaten to death in all popular openSUSE mail lists.
I think that most of regular visitors there have developed allergy and some
kind soul provided article:
http://en.opensuse.org/Restricted_Formats
as a cure. When someone asks, we just point to the link.

I know the link. Apparently according to this article it's not an legal
but an ethical issue.

Really believe me it is impossible to explain to a customer why his
dvd / mp3's won't work. People have enough to get used to when going
from Windows to Linux without dealing with arbitrary issues like these.

To sum it up I am more a practical guy; drop the moral crusade against
proprietary content and let people discover themselves the benefits of
OSS.

Acknowledging this is an age-old discussion with no end in sight I will
stop here. Fortunately this really isn't a big issue thanks to the
excellent YaST2 Product Creator ( http://news.opensuse.org/?p=478 ) :D

I am more looking for synergy then forking ;)
[...]
Packman repository with the openSUSE core packages.

This is how synergy can happen:

It will with growth of build service, and change in laws.

What is the best way to propose this to Novell? Is a bugreport the best
way? Or maybe an e-mail?

You can do that in project mail list.
They probably look for the sponsor.

The opensuse-project list?

http://lists.opensuse.org/

Thanks.

--
Regards,

Aniruddha

Please adhere to the OpenSUSE_mailing_list_netiquette
http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_mailing_list_netiquette