Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Re: How secure is openSUSE build service?
  • From: Boyd Lynn Gerber <gerberb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 10:36:53 -0600
On Thu, 1 Nov 2007, Aniruddha wrote:
On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 09:50 +0100, Adrian Schröter wrote:
I mean, each user has a different level on requirements. And he may even
decides different for his different systems.

This makes it hard to define one level and one single policy for us at
openSUSE, since the result of the highest security requirement would be a
very small distro with not really up2date software versions.

There are two extrems from "highest security needed" up to to "I do not
care,
it is just for test or I just want the latest version".

So we can not define a single policy, but we can help the users to decide

Off course it it is doable (see Debian/Gentoo/FreeBSD/Ubuntu) who
support up to 22000 packages. the only question is how ;)

Every Distribution/Unix/Linux variant has constraints. I have seen
exploits in all of them. Someone has to do the programming and checking.
There are not enought paid people on any of the Distribution or OS's to
really bring security to a C2 level(US). Novell/SUSE has done a lot in
getting security to a great level. Many of the packages in the 22000 have
not had a security audit. You still have to trust. I have worked with
the Devs on all the BSD variants. Just because they are in the
distribution does not make them more secure. I know. I have placed
reports and the authors have acknowlegded that no security audit has been
preformed. So please do not make general noise about how great the
security is. It is not there.

--
Boyd Gerber <gerberb@xxxxxxxxx>