Re: [opensuse-buildservice] How secure is openSUSE build service?
  • From: Aniruddha <mailing_list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 00:33:40 +0100
On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 16:17 -0700, Jerry Neal wrote:
We are talking about Linux and not Windows, right? In 9 years I have
never seen even ONE Linux virus, rootkit, trojan, or malware. I've
seen hundreds of them in Windows--just connect to the internet without
antivirus and a firewall and you'll get a trojan in 20 minutes or
less. I've seen Windows trojans so bad you had to format the hard
drive 7 times to get rid of them.

Thank you for your answer. Were certainly talking about Linux which
contrary to popular belief can be seriously compromised (leave your ssh
port open just for fun ;) ).

In my opinion a great deal of Linux security succes is that users don't
install software from all over the internet but download them from
trusted repositories where the software is checked and md5summed by it's
maintainers.

Since openSUSE 10.3 and the '1-Click Install service it's impossible to
tell if the software come from an trusted sources if openSUSE doesn't
have some kind of security measures.

And indeed while virussen aren't a problem for Linux, rootkits certainly
are. See also: http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/127202/171/

--
Regards,

Aniruddha

Please adhere to the OpenSUSE_mailing_list_netiquette
http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_mailing_list_netiquette