Re: [opensuse-buildservice] How secure is openSUSE build service?
  • From: Marcus Meissner <meissner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 22:45:26 +0100
On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 10:28:57PM +0100, Aniruddha wrote:
I wonder what are the security policies for openSUSE? What are the
chances for malicious software (rootkits, trojans) being offered through
the build service?

You have to trust the project you add the URL for.

What is the procedure for security holes and/or exploits in software
offered in the openSUSE build repositories? I get the feeling openSUSE
is becoming just as insecure as Windows hence the warning you get when
adding repo's with 1-click install (see attachment). Or am I mistaken?
Any info would be appreciated!

The openSUSE OSS and non-OSS repositories are secured as usual and
the paranoid should only trust them.

The buildservice repos should not be considered containing secured
packages.

The security fix policy for those is also left to the responsible maintainers.

Ciao, Marcus