Re: [opensuse-buildservice] offline build support (was: New openSUSE Buildservice Roadmap)
  • From: Michael Wolf <maw@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 14:24:52 -0500
On Tue, 2007-23-10 at 13:46 +0200, Dr. Peter Poeml wrote:
On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 02:30:47PM -0500, Michael Wolf wrote:
Also, is any sort of offline support in the works? --no-init helps in
this regard, but you still need to phone home for every build, which is
bad for those of us with slow network connections, and worse when the
network goes out. I don't want this nearly as badly as I want to use
distributed revision control, though.

Adding an offline mode to osc build shouldn't be a problem. It just
needs a commandline switch, and a way to store the last retrieved
buildinfo and buildconfig in order to use it again. If someone has an
idea how to implement this, it would be very welcome.

No, it doesn't sound hard, although I haven't had a chance to give it a
go yet.

We'd need to determine whether --no-init should imply such an offline
mode. I think it shouldn't, because --no-init is IMO mainly used to
shorten build times, not to work in offline mode.

I think that --no-init and (a hypothetical) --offline are orthogonal.
In practice I imagine they'd frequently be used in conjunction, but
that's no reason to conflate them. Having said that, once --offline
exists, it might be worthwile to add another flag, maybe "--fast" or
something, that does combine them.