Re: [opensuse-buildservice] New openSUSE Buildservice Roadmap
  • From: Cornelius Schumacher <cschum@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 10:34:29 +0200
On Thursday 25 October 2007, Dr. Peter Poeml wrote:

I am sometimes asked, why the BS doesn't offer an api which is
compatible to WebDAV. Well, it was designed ground up, why not, and grew
to a more complex thing later, I personally see the shortcomings but
believe that it would have been more work to use something existing.

I think it wouldn't be difficult to add WebDAV support to the build service.
Not necessarily the support needed for Subversion, but to make it possible to
manage source and control file via WebDAV. It basically would mean to
implement support for the PROPFIND method to get access to collections. Most
of the rest is already there in the current build service HTTP API.

The benefit would be that you could browse the build service in your WebDAV
enabled file manager, e.g. in Konqueror, and directly edit files there.

As the question goes, whether to switch to some distributed version
control paradigm (whatever its name), I can't see a projected switch as
a pure advantage. On the contary, I believe that there are two parties
with different interests: one that prefers the distributed paradigm, and
one that prefers the centralized paradigm. I personally think that both
approaches make sense. But I know for sure that just as there are people
who feel severely hindered by a subversion-like approach, there are
others that would hate to work with the git "pile of crap". I estimate
that the git addicts are a minority -- but who knows?

From what I see the git addicts are a rapidly growing "minority".

--
Cornelius Schumacher <cschum@xxxxxxx>