Re: [opensuse-buildservice] New openSUSE Buildservice Roadmap
  • From: Klaas Freitag <freitag@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 09:27:39 +0200
On Thursday 25 October 2007 01:08, Michael Wolf wrote:
On Wed, 2007-17-10 at 10:28 +0200, Michael Schroeder wrote:
On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 02:30:47PM -0500, Michael Wolf wrote:
Do the improvements listed at
http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service/Roadmap#Milestone_Daffodil_.28Vers
ion_1.0.29.2C_April_2008 imply distributed revision control? Many
people, myself included, want this very much.

Hmm, this is more a tool issue than something we can do on the
build service. The build service currently stores the sources
pretty much the same way as git does, except that it uses
md5 sums instead of sha1 sums to identify a release (this is
for historical reasons).
I'm thinking about switching it over to sha1 so that it is
compatible to git, but I need to find some spare time for this.

If we could use git (with all of its features, of course) in place of
"osc diff", "osc commit", etc., that might be OK, although it seems like
more work in the long run than just using revision control in the first
place.
I think that's reasonable and would like to have that for the reasons
that we do not have to maintain git ourselves, that people of all
colour continue to ask "do you use a real source control system?" and
we can easily answer 'yes' than and finally that we hopefully benefit
from existing tools that set up on git. Hopefully, because I have nothing
special in mind. Anybody else?

Klaas

--
Klaas Freitag Architect OPS/IPD