Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Difference between GNOME:Community, Stable, and Unstable
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 17:12:45 +0100
Joe Shaw wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-12-10 at 01:45 -0800, Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:
>> Also, I find folders for "Archiving:" and "editors" and "Banshee" and
>> so on -- am I supposed to go through each and add them individually as
>> a repo, or is there a single repo or something which sort of includes
>> all these? Why are they classified like these into categories, in the
>> first place? Do I need to add them, or are these just the software
>> that was already installed on my system?

[...]

> There isn't (at present, anyway) an Ubuntuesque concept of a "universe"
> repository, which is more or less a dumping ground for whatever packages
> people want. Although the multiple repositories might be a little
> harder to use(*), it does mean that you get only the software you're
> interested in, and is less likely to break your system.
>
> (*) IMO, it's only harder to use right now because it lacks a search
> interface. Once it has one of those, that lets you search by project
> name, package name, and inside package descriptions, it'll be a whole
> lot easier to find specific pieces of software.

I agree, it is technically superior to the big dumping ground.

Nevertheless, it is a lot less user-friendly, especially for less
experienced users.
One might argue that less experienced users shouldn't touch anything
that's not on the distribution with a stick but reality is different
(and e.g. quickly having the latest KDE packages _does_ provide a
competitive advantage to SUSE Linux IMO).

Searching is one thing, but adding repositories should be made easier
too. A more-or-less one-click-installation for YaST2 would be very
helpful (we already have the .repo files).
Add a MIME type, hook a YaST2 frontend to it in Firefox and Konqueror.
Including .repo links in search results.

my 0.02€

cheers
_\_v http://www.fosdem.org http://opensuse.org

< Previous Next >