Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Difference between GNOME:Community, Stable, and Unstable
  • From: Joe Shaw <joeshaw@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 11:02:13 -0500
Hi,

On Sun, 2006-12-10 at 01:45 -0800, Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:
> Also, I find folders for "Archiving:" and "editors" and "Banshee" and
> so on -- am I supposed to go through each and add them individually as
> a repo, or is there a single repo or something which sort of includes
> all these? Why are they classified like these into categories, in the
> first place? Do I need to add them, or are these just the software
> that was already installed on my system?

Each of these are individual projects, which are maintained by
individuals outside of the openSUSE distribution. As a result, they
might have their own release schedules, different packaging layouts,
etc. from the upstream distro. Heck, they might even be completely
broken. :)

There isn't (at present, anyway) an Ubuntuesque concept of a "universe"
repository, which is more or less a dumping ground for whatever packages
people want. Although the multiple repositories might be a little
harder to use(*), it does mean that you get only the software you're
interested in, and is less likely to break your system.

Joe

(*) IMO, it's only harder to use right now because it lacks a search
interface. Once it has one of those, that lets you search by project
name, package name, and inside package descriptions, it'll be a whole
lot easier to find specific pieces of software.