Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Help needed for Packaging
  • From: Robert Schiele <rschiele@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 20:57:43 +0200
On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 02:21:11PM -0300, James Oakley wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 September 2006 9:38 pm, Pascal Bleser wrote:
> > James, I said we *try*.
> > You tell me 3 packages, I can probably give you a good dozen (at the
> > very least) that are being built in the BuildService and where I never
> > got a single notification, whatsoever.
>
> That's actually a good reason to use the buildservice. You only have to make
> one search to avoid duplication.

If you also build packages for packages that are not under an OSS license or
for a distribution that is not included, you cannot use the build service in a
reasonable way because the public server does not allow them and you can't
set-up a private one because parts of the build service itself are proprietary
software. Thus it generally makes more sense for such packagers to use their
own build system instead and invest their time there.

> > We definitely need better communication across community packagers.. or
> > rather, all packagers. I really hoped openSUSE would be a channel for
> > that, but it didn't happen,
>
> Isn't this the point of the buildservice? What's the problem?

Communication problems are always a social problem in the first place. Tools
can only provide some assistance here. If someone really designed the build
service as a solution for _this_ problem then he actually has no clue about
the problem.

> > - newer versions of packages shipped with SUSE Linux
> >
> > Let me pick a few good examples from my repository:
> > - amarok: the SUSE package is outdated (1.3.8, newest is 1.4.3), and the
> > BS package is crippled (no MP4 tagging support, no MySQL support, no
> > PostgreSQL support)
>
> That's fine, I use your Amarok builds. However, it would be nice to be able to
> subscribe to an "Amarok" repository and not worry about something I don't
> want sneaking in.

Some tools (e.g. YaST) allow to install single packages with their
dependencies without the need to install _everything_ in a repository.

Robert

--
Robert Schiele
Dipl.-Wirtsch.informatiker mailto:rschiele@xxxxxxxxx