[opensuse-buildservice] suggestion: auto import from several distributions
  • From: Andreas Jellinghaus <aj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 22:57:45 +0200
I think this could be nice: some auto import feature.

for example I could add "opensc" and then it would
add the files from latest suse factory, fedora core
current, mandriva cvs, debian etch and ubuntu dapper.

technically - if the package name is the same -
it should be easy to get all the srpm / dsc&diff.gz
files as at least all big community distributions
have an open development tree where everyone can
see what happends.

a bigger problem might be merging spec files.
but maybe an auto inserting %ifdef can be done,
so later step by step these can be removed?

and sometimes there is the same file in two srpm
with different content. it could get a postfix
like ".suse" or ".fc5" or something and the
%source like could be changed to match that.

ok, the more I think about it: not that easy.
but any way for developers to find out what
(at least the big) distributions are doing with
their releases and how they differe from each
other would be a nice step forward and a big
help for supporting users on linux distributions
other than the one someone is using himself.

Regards, Andreas
p.s. while spec files with %ifdef should allow
easy merging of rpm based distributions, I have no
clue what to do about debian and ubuntu when they
differ.