Re: Namespaces
  • From: Peter Nixon <listuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 18:31:32 +0300
On Tue 30 May 2006 17:58, Marcus Rueckert wrote:
> hi,
>
> on irc we had a discussion about adding some logical namespaces.
>
> It was started by looking for the right place for a php project.
> we now agreed on having a "server:" namespace. the first proposed
> projects in that namespace we see:
> server:apache (the former Apache project)
> server:mail (exim and home:choeger:postfix could be moved there)
> server:ftp
> server:php (php project, and php extensions, and my hardened php
> package)
> server:dns (i will move my pdns, mydns, nsd packages there. maybe the
> bind and dnsmasq package could move there aswell?:) )

Oh goody. I was about to add pdns to my project, but it looks like you saved
me the trouble :-)

> It would be nice to have a server:voip aswell. peter nixon has some
> packages in that area iirc. :)

I am glad someone noticed! *grin*

I already created a project titled "telephony" a few weeks ago, but would be
happy to rename it to the server: namespace. (Clients are for wimps!)
I think that Telephony is probably a better name than VoIP, but I am willing
to go with consensus here...

On another note, how on earth do I add a project to "my projects"?? I dont see
anywhere to tick/click/bash...

I also don't appear to have permission to allow others to help out with my
project...

> The jpackage projects are moved into the Java: namespace.
>
> Some people might ask: why dont you just move php into the apache
> project.
> The answer is pretty short: Because it makes its impossible to build
> newer php against older apache versions. with the new layout we can add
> server:apache:<somedist> as build target to the php project aswell as
> the plain suse distros. :)
>
> So in long term i would suggest to join such logical project instead of
> having multiple "mixed purpose projects". if you want to add a package
> to such a project please contact the project owner on this list.
>
> keep up the good work everyone

Speaking of namespaces, who do we have to kill to get
packages/projects/widgets sorted in alphabetical order? I have >20 packages
in my project and its getting hard to find the correct one at a glance. The
project situation is even worse, being spread out across multiple pages...

--

Peter Nixon
http://www.peternixon.net/