Linking packages from released distributions
  • From: Christian Boltz <opensuse@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 15:31:51 +0200
Hello,

I wanted to create a modified courier-authlib package (to be exact: with
added mysql backend, requires just a specfile patch AFAIK) for 10.1, but
wasn't able to link to the package.

Michael Schröder told me that the sources for 10.1 were not uploaded - I
think this should be changed ;-)

The reasons why I do not want to link to the Factory package are the
same with for YOU updates - I want to minimize the changes I need to do
to the whole system (so: no version upgrades) and would like to have an
automated package rebuild in case there's a security update for
courier-authlib.

Of course, I can upload the 10.1 sources myself - but I don't consider
this a very good idea...

BTW: Can I upload a src.rpm instead of a tarball also?

Regards,

Christian Boltz

PS: Maybe wildcard linking would be an interesting feature ("link to
package foobar from the distributions I'm building packages for") -
but in this case you would need the option to apply a patch to a
limited set of your build targets.
The alternative is to create a project per target distribution and
to apply the patch to the distributions that need it.

--
wie jeder weiß ist Debian auf ISDN die langsamste bekannte Methode
Selbstmord zu begehen ("Selbstmord durch Erosion")

< Previous Next >