Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Build management and dependencies
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 17:25:12 +0200

Hi Marc,

Am Wednesday 10 May 2006 04:35 schrieb Marc Lijour:
> Hi
>
> I am part of a team which is working on the development of a Linux
> distribution (such as SUSE), as part of the European EDOS project
> (http://www.edos-project.org).
>
> We have developed some tools to manage package dependencies which you may
> find useful. For example, anla (http://brion.inria.fr/anla/), a package
> exploration utility to spot and to trace dependency problems over time
> (currently working with a Debian package pool).
> anla depends on other tools such as ceve, a parser written in ocaml for
> deb, rpm and other files, and a SAT solver.

Thanks for notifying us, we will play a bit with it. Usually we try to avoid
to use ocaml based apps, because we may run into problems on some
architectures ..

> One of the goals of the EDOS project is to maintain a set of packages on
> the server side (avoiding dependency issues), but we are also interested in
> "thinning" a distribution, that is producing a Linux "CD" (for example)
> containing a requested set of packages, and the minimal set of packages
> which are necessary to complete the dependency requirements, nothing more.

yes, we want to provide this as well.

> Another interest of ours is the rebuilding of a distribution from scratch,
> in such a way that a user can reproduce the binaries shipped to him by
> using only the sources coming with them.
>
> The EDOS project also deals with the diffusion of the package (a P2P system
> is under development) and the testing domain (a portal is also being
> developed).
>
> We would like to know about the issues you may face in your build
> management project and we would be glad to bring our expertise. We also
> want to ensure that our tools will work for the SUSE user.

We can offer you a build service account to build them at least properly for
SUSE Linux ;)

Why do you develop your own P2P software ? Wouldn't it possible to take an
existing one ?

Do you think we may can share some resources in the QA area ?

bye
adrian