Re: [suse-autoinstall] Using classes under SuSE 8.2
  • From: Anas Nashif <nashif@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 04:47:01 +0000 (UTC)
Hi,
You have to create the directory for a group of profiles (or only parts of a profile) under /var/lib/autoinstall/classes.
Once the directory is there, you can define the class, create configurations the regular way and then save them in the directory you have created.
There are 2 ways to use them:

1. Offline: which means that you can merge several files to create one ready to use configuration

2. Online: Autoyast retrieves the main control file and if any classes are defined in the control file, it will try to read them from the same source, i.e. if you have the main control file available via HTTP from
http://10.10.10.1/profiles/autoinst.xml, and if the classes are defined like this in the control file:

<install>
<classes config:type="list">
<class>
<class_name>location</class_name>
<configuration>home.xml</configuration>
</class>
</classes>
..
</install>

then autoyast will try to fetch the file:

http://10.10.10.1/profiles/classes/location/home.xml and will merge it with the main file to create a new one. (of course you can define multiple files and classes)

This can work in combination with the rules file as well. So for example you can create different rules for diffirent types of hardware, if a rules matches it will retrieve the file defined and this file can contain some class definitions which are then retrieved....

This is all good if you have a central profile repository with heterogenous hardware and setups.

The rules concept is similar to the one used in Solaris Jumpstart but it has far more features. Rules can be as simple as common attributes like architecture, memory, disk space. If attributes are not enough, then one can write a script to query diffirent paramters on the system and then try to match the rule. For example I used a script to run hwinfo --bios and get the motherboard type which works pretty well.

This a long answer to a simple question :-)

Anas

Thomas Necker wrote:
Sorry, but I just can't figure out how classes are supposed to work
under SuSE 8.2.

When I use the AutoYast module to add a class to the current
configuration, it just says: "This class doesn't contain profiles"

Shouldn't I be able here to select a XML file previously
put in /var/lib/autoinstall/classes that can then be merged to
the final XML file?

Thanks for your help.

Bye,
Thomas