Installation of SuSE 8.1 from a W2K PC
  • From: "Gjalt Oostenbrug" <gjalt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 14:45:41 +0000 (UTC)
Hello,

this is my first posting to this mailing list server, so if I'm doing
something wrong please don't hesitate to inform me.

I bought two months ago SuSE 8.0 Professional (boxed with 7 CD's and 1 DVD).
I learned a lot from this installation process as well as of SuSE linux (I'm
a newbee).

I downloaded SuSE 8.1 now from the Swiss Mirror server on a PC with W2K. I
want to make a clean install of SusE 8.1 on my Linux PC, on which now
resides SuSE 8.0.

This is what Iive done now:

1. I wrote the boot.cd of SuSE 8.1 on a CD-ROM (raw write).
2. I connected the my W2K PC with my SuSE PC with a Cat 5 crossover cable.
3. I made the SuSE 8.1 folder on my W2K PC shared allowed.
4. I changed BIOS setting of my SuSE PC, so it could boot from the CD-ROM.
5. I booted from the bootable CD-ROM.

Once done it asks for another CD, which I don't have. So I choose at some
point Network. However, it did not recognise a network.

What do I have to do, so that I can go from my SuSE PC (booted from the
bootable CD) to the folder on my W2K PC and get SuSE 8.1 installed from
there?

Why I want to make a fresh install? I want to have GRUBS instead of LILO as
bootloader and have everything fresh on my HD.

You can respond in either German or English. I wrote this in English because
I believe my writing skill are better in this language.

Look forward hearing!

Best regards,

Gjalt

  • No further messages