[suse-autoinstall] Getting started with autoinstall
  • From: Rasmus Borup Hansen <rbh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 14:03:38 +0000 (UTC)
Amanda Dahl,(4686) writes:
> Hello,
> I've read Anas Nashif's AutoYast2 document, and am trying to get an IBM
> X330 to setup with autoyast. I've created a autoinst.xml file with all
> the configs I want. The machine is networked, and I have a SuSE 8.0
> machine I'm using as the NFS server for the distribution files. What I'd
> like to eventually do is get the system to boot remotely using PXE or
> etherboot, but for the moment just for testing purposes, I'd just like
> to be able to boot from floppy and have it find the autoinst.xml file
> and then go off to the NFS server for the rest of the installation.
> What do I need to put on the floppy to get this to happen? I've tried
> the Grub floppy (it stops after it discovers the NIC), the
> bootdisk/modules (it can't find the initrd, but that's too big to put on
> a floppy), and the contents of the initdisk.gz (just a black screen).
> Can anyone provide a step-by-step of how they made their installation work?
> Many thanks in advance.

I currently use the Grub floppy. On my DHCP-server I have the files
"initrd" and "linux" in /tftpboot and I have enabled tftp in
/etc/inetd.conf. I've also edited boot/grub/menu.lst on the floppy to
look like the following:

color white/blue black/light-gray
default 0
timeout 8
framebuffer 1

title autoinstall-bootp
bootp
root (nd)
kernel (nd)/tftpboot/linux install=nfs://130.225.103.33/dist/suse/8.1 autoyast=nfs://130.225.103.33/dist/suse/control-files/ vga=791
initrd (nd)/tftpboot/initrd

I have the 8.1-tree on the NFS-server 130.225.103.22 in the directory
/dist/suse/8.1 and the control file in /dist/suse/control-files. My
control file is called "default". The "vga=791" option is just for
fun.

Best regards,

Rasmus

--
Rasmus Borup Hansen, system adm. Email: rbh@xxxxxxxxxx
Institute for Mathematical Sciences Phone: +45 353 20759