Re: [opensuse-arm] WARNING Do not update a working RPi2 system to the newest kernel [SOLVED]
Op maandag 21 maart 2016 11:52:01 schreef Freek de Kruijf:
Op donderdag 17 maart 2016 10:11:17 schreef Freek de Kruijf:
Op woensdag 16 maart 2016 14:00:36 schreef Freek de Kruijf:
The Tumbleweed repository for RPi2 contains a new kernel 4.1.16. However
updating/upgrading to that version of the kernel gives you a
NONE-working
system.

Also the newest images with 2016.03.09 in the name do boot, however a
second boot fails. On second boot the system tries to boot via the
network.

I start with Build389.1, which I downloaded on March 1st. I do a zypper up
from the standard repositories, but I exclude crda, kernel-rpi2 and
wireless- regdb as new packages and dtb-bcm2709, elfutils, u-boot-rpi2,
and
u-boot-tools as updated packages. After that I still have a
working/bootable RPi2 system.

After the new version of Tumbleweed came available I used:

openSUSE-Tumbleweed-ARM-JeOS-raspberrypi2.armv7l-2016.03.09-Build6.3.raw.xz

This one is perfect. Also a forced install

However starting with Build389.1 and performing a "zypper up" does not
result a working system, The update is OK, however the reboot does not
work. The error message is about a wrong device tree. After this the system
is trying to boot via the network. There is an improvement; the first boot
phase works.

So the warning is still valid.

I found the solution. After performing the update/upgrade, obviously as root,
you have to perform the following:

cd /boot/
rmdir dtb
ln -s dtb-4.1.19-1 dtb

So the problem is that /boot/dtb is an empty folder, it should however contain
the content of the newly created /boot/dtb-4.1.19-1, which can be done by a
symbolic link.

--
fr.gr.

member openSUSE