Re: [opensuse-arm] (Untested) RPI3 image - testers wanted

On 18.03.16 13:59, Andreas Färber wrote:
Am 18.03.2016 um 09:59 schrieb Alexander Graf:
This really is a kernel problem, not a U-Boot one ;). So I asked on the
#armlinux channel.

Apparently someone else felt the same pain on other boards and so we
have all the infrastructure in place soon to deal with this via device tree:

http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-usb/msg136469.html
https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/2/3/621

With these (switching to upstream for RPi will only become realistic
within the 4.6 time frame anyway) [...]

What's missing in 4.5? I tried and didn't get any serial output.

Apparently sd card access, touchscreen support and rpi3 support are
problematic areas:

http://ht4u.net/news/31929_linux_45_mit_support_fuer_uefi_amd_und_raspberry_pi/

3d acceleration support is also supposed to get a significant boost with
4.6:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-4.6-RPi-Faster-3D

So I think it's reasonable to provide an upstream based image for the
RPi2, but we should hold back with a real switchover until 4.6.