Re: [opensuse-arm] Support for RPi camera in openSUSE for Rasberry Pi?
  • From: Freek de Kruijf <freek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 14:54:33 +0100
Op vrijdag 11 maart 2016 13:33:08 schreef Alexander Graf:
On 11.03.16 13:07, Freek de Kruijf wrote:
Op vrijdag 11 maart 2016 12:33:14 schreef Alexander Graf:
On 11.03.16 10:44, Freek de Kruijf wrote:
Op donderdag 10 maart 2016 13:28:08 schreef Guillaume Gardet:
Hi,

Le 10/03/2016 12:53, Freek de Kruijf a écrit :
Is there any support for the RPi camera in the openSUSE software for a
Raspberry Pi? I tried to find sources, but did not succeed.

What do you need?

raspberrypi-userland package provide some RPi tools such as:
* raspistill
* raspivid
* raspividyuv
* raspiyuv

Otherwise, standard tool whould work too.

Guillaume

Thanks, one step further. I installed raspberrypi-userland and used the
command "raspistill -o <some_name>" and got the message:

mmal: mmal_component_create_core: could not find component
'vc.ril.camera'
mmal: Failed to create camera component
mmal: main: Failed to create camera component
mmal: Camera is not enabled in this build. Try running "sudo
raspi-config"
and ensure that "camera" has been enabled

The bash script raspi-config I found seems to be written for Raspian. On
openSUSE it seems to do nothing.

How to continue?

Just a guess into the blue, but maybe the missing part is a device tree
entry for the camera. Or just a random Config.txt option.

I found to insert in /boot/efi/Config.txt:

# Enable the camera module
start_x=1
# Turn off the red camera LED when recording video or taking a still
picture disable_camera_led=1

Also appended the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/99-local.conf:

install bcm2835-v4l2 /bin/true

This provides the device /dev/video0

and enabled vcfiled via

systemctl enable vcfiled.service

which will start this service after a reboot or after a start command.

But still raspistill gives:

mmal: mmal_component_create_core: could not find component 'vc.ril.camera'
mmal: Failed to create camera component
mmal: main: Failed to create camera component
mmal: Failed to run camera app. Please check for firmware updates

Do normal v4l accessing tools work? Like xawtv?

Alex

xawtv pulled in 70 packages. Running "xawtv -hwinfo" showed the error message:

This is xawtv-3.103, running on Linux/armv7l (3.18.14-5-rpi2)
Error: Can't open display:

which makes sense because I do not have an X display.

Also "raspistill -o <some_name>" gives the same message as before; the new
installed packages did not change that.

The man page of xawtv tells about a remote display, but I have no idea how to
set that up. Something like making a ssh connection using -X in the command?

--
fr.gr.

member openSUSE
Freek de Kruijf