[opensuse-arm] Re: RPi2, Tumbleweed and "official" 7" RPi touchscreen
With my configuration listed below, the newest build (2016.03.04-build3) still lights up the screen backlight (contrary to an older updated build) but it looks like it's not even launching the firstboot right now, the green activity LED does not show that the Pi2 would do anything.

KaiRo

Robert Kaiser schrieb:
Hi,

I've had one RPi2 running headless with Tumbleweed for quite some time
now, and it does fine, so thanks everyone for making that work!

That said, I now have acquired the "official" RPi 7" touchscreen to use
with a second RPi2, and it actually displays the text console nicely on
first boot of the Build 385 JeOS image, but on second boot it stays
completely black (not even the backlight is on). In addition, the
network interface also does not come up (same as on first boot), so the
build gets completely unusable for me.

I tried the old build 307 that I had used initially to get the other
RPi2 up months ago, and the screen is completely black with that, but
the network is fine and I could update it to a current Tumbleweed, which
it still boots fine and is accessible from the network. That said, the
screen stays dark on this as well.

Given that the first boot with build 385 works and AFAIK uses the same
kernel and probably bootloader, and the difference is there right from
booting the system, it feels like it can't be that hard to get it
working in the end. That said, the difference has to be in some
parameters or things available during boot.

I attached two dmesg outputs, one ("noscreen") from the
updated-to-current system that can be accessed remotely, one
("screenworking") from a build 385 first boot.

One difference that strikes me there is that the non-working version
says (omitting times):
simple-framebuffer 3db79000.framebuffer: framebuffer at 0x3db79000,
0x81800 bytes, mapped to 0xb7d00000
simple-framebuffer 3db79000.framebuffer: format=r5g6b5, mode=592x448x16,
linelength=1184
simple-framebuffer 3db79000.framebuffer: fb1: simplefb registered!

The working version has the following instead:
simple-framebuffer fdb3f000.framebuffer: framebuffer at 0xfdb3f000,
0xbb800 bytes, mapped to 0xb7d00000
simple-framebuffer fdb3f000.framebuffer: format=r5g6b5, mode=800x480x16,
linelength=1600
simple-framebuffer fdb3f000.framebuffer: fb1: simplefb registered!

The "mode=800x480x16" actually fits this screen correctly.

Any idea what I can try to get it working? I have found out enough to
play with kernel command line parameters by editing boot.script and
regenerating boot.scr from it, but I got stuck there as removing this
from the commandline didn't help and I'm not sure what else I can do
there that may help.

That said, once the display actually shows stuff, the second question
will be the touch input - if the rpi-ft5406 driver available in the
kernel right now? I saw there are sources for it in
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/blob/rpi-4.5.y/drivers/input/touchscreen/rpi-ft5406.c
at least for 4.5, not sure for how far back they exist/work.

Thanks,
KaiRo