Re: [opensuse-arm] Re: Growing some openSUSE ARMs
On Thu, September 22, 2011 5:22 pm, Alexander Graf wrote:

Am 22.09.2011 um 17:13 schrieb Pavol Rusnak <prusnak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

On 09/22/2011 04:56 PM, Greg KH wrote:
In other words, what box do I need to go buy in order to help make this
possible? :)

I think BeagleBoard (Cortex-A8) or PandaBoard (Cortex-A9) would be a
good start.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BeagleBoard
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PandaBoard

To kick thibgs off (and for easy development), I would target QEMU, so
everyone can try it out and attach gdb when needed.

I agree though that we need to target one particular board for real hw
development, so things don't get more painful than they have to be. I'm
reasonably indifferent on what we're targeting there, but it should be <
200€ and widely available.

I think the best choice would be the snowball board of the igloo community.
http://www.igloocommunity.org/
http://shop.strato.com/epages/61428605.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61428605/Categories/CALEMB

It'll set you back € 164.00 excluding tax and postage for version with
GPS/bluetooth and wifi.

The reason why I think the snowball is the best choice is because it's
using the ST-Ericsson Nova A9500 processor (Dual Cortex A9 + Mali 400 GPU)
like the Samsung Exynos 4210 SoC. The advantage of this board over the
pandaboard is that it has a OSS video driver (GPL and MIT license), while
the SGX540 driver is closed source.

http://www.malideveloper.com/developer-resources/drivers/open-source-mali-gpus-linux-kernel-device-drivers.php

I have the the Pandaboard the problem is the current SGX drivers don't
work for hardfp, which I think is the best for a openSuSE ARM distro.

If it's decided to use this board I wouldn't mind ordering it together
with people near me, the postage is quite high € 32.56 excluding tax, to
the Netherlands.
I live in Limburg (SE Netherlands), near Germany and Belgium.

Either way, for bootstrapping going with an emulated platform is probably
more useful. Once we have a proper base system, let's go for the real fun
and target a board.

Alex--
For additional commands, e-mail: opensuse-arm+help@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Regards,