[opensuse-announce] openSUSE Project Announces csync
  • From: "Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier" <jzb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 01:25:55 -0500
Andreas Schneider has unleashed the first public release candidate of
csync 0.42[1], which is now available as source from the csync Web
site[2], or via one-click for openSUSE 11.0[3] and 11.1[4].

As mobile computing becomes more and more important, file
synchronization is more important than ever. Our jobs often require
working not only on multiple computers, but in multiple locations, and
disconnected from our networks. To help solve this problem, we need
effective strategies for replication of user data and files.

csync is a bidirectional file synchronizer for Linux and allows to
keep two copies of files and directories in sync. It uses uses widely
adopted protocols like smb or sftp so that there is no need for a
server component of csync. It is a user-level program which means
there is no need to be a superuser. With pam_csync it is possible to
create roaming home directories.

For more on using csync, see the user guide[5]. Please report bugs
using the bugtracker[6]. For more information on csync, or to get
involved with development, see the csync Web site and join the devel
lists[7] or find help in IRC.[8]

[8]: irc://

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier
openSUSE Community Manager