[opensuse-announce] Results of the 1st openSUSE Board Election
  • From: Marko Jung <mjung@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 17:30:26 +0100
So the polls are closed now and all votes have been accounted for and
confirmed valid, and we are now proud to announce the election results!
The openSUSE project would like to welcome the first community elected
board, and would like to thank all voters for taking the time to use
their vote.

The new board members are, from the Non-Novell side of the community
Pascal Bleser and Bryen Yunashko and from the Novell side we have Henne
Vogelsang and Federico Mena-Quintero. We are proud to announce that
Michael Loeffler has been appointed by Novell as chairman of the new
board. Being the candidates with the most votes in their category,
Pascal and Henne already agreed to serve the board for the next two
years. Bryen and Federico have been elected for one next year, hence the
next election will take place about the same time next year.

The election committee would like to congratulate them on their election
and wish them all the best in steering our fine community and project.
We would also like to thank all of the candidates for their interest in
serving on the board, and we're proud to have so many excellent
candidates to choose from for the board.

For those that like numbers, the spread of votes is as follows:

==Non-Novell==
Bleser, Pascal 148 45.96 %
Yunashko, Bryen 69 21.43 %
Linnell, Petee 42 13.04 %
Rodriguez, Alex 30 9.32 %
Pasanen, Tuukka 18 5.59 %
Rusinek, Jakub 15 4.66 %
Total: 322

==Novell==
Vogelsang, Henne 126 38.18 %
Mena-Quintero, Federico 86 26.06 %
Shaw, Stephen 71 21.52 %
Michna, Marco 47 14.24 %
Total: 330

A total of 75.11% (178 of 237) voters participated in the poll. Voters
had the option of casting two votes for each category, for a possible
total of 356 votes per category for the election. Some voters, however,
choose not to use both of their votes for each category.

The final count does not convey how close the election was in some
parts, but it does show that the openSUSE community is committed to
ensuring that they take a stake in their own project and that the
understand that to make the project prosper they need to be active.

The election committee wants to thank the first openSUSE Board, Marcus
'darix' Rückert and Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier for their ongoing support.
In addition to this we want to thank again all openSUSE members for
their participation.

The official results including some nice graphs can be found at
https://users.opensuse.org/elections/2/result

Best regards,
Marko Jung (on behalf of the election committee)