[opensuse-announce] Hack Week III is almost here!
  • From: "Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier" <jzb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 09:50:51 -0400
Hack Week III is almost upon us! Novell is once again sponsoring Hack
Week, from August 25th through August 29th, and we want the openSUSE
community to be in on it!

What's Hack Week? Hack Week is a chance for Novell's developers to
work on Innovation Time Off (ITO) projects, uninterrupted by normal
hacking duties. This helps provide an opportunity for Novell's
developers to work on innovative new projects they might not normally
be able to work on. Since most of the projects developed during Hack
Week are open source, this also benefits the community by providing
new code.

During Hack Week, developers can work on any project of interest. So
far Hack Week has spawned a number of impressive projects and
improvements, such as Debian package support in the openSUSE Build
Service, Tasque, Giver, and many others.

For HW3, we'e encouraging members of the openSUSE community to get
involved as well, either by working on their own Hack Week projects,
or by collaborating with Novell developers to create or enhance open
source projects. To post your ideas or see what others are working on,
visit ideas.opensuse.org. We'll have awards for several Hack Week
projects, including best overall project, and the coveted First
Penguin Award.

As part of the effort to expand Hack Week outside of Novell, we're
bringing several community members to Novell offices to work with
Novell developers on HW3 projects, and we'll be hosting a Hack Week
room at the Utah Open Source Conference
[http://2008.utosc.com/pages/home/] next week, August 28 through
August 30. For questions or comments on Hack Week, please contact
Andreas Jaeger [aj@xxxxxxxxxxxx].

--
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier
openSUSE Community Manager