[mirror] some observations about access patterns
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 12:00:06 +0200
Now that our mirror is running again, our Informatiker-apprentice had a
closer look at the mirror and the traffic over the last 3 days.

He wrote up a brief report, these are some interesting observations.
Looking only at traffic from user-agent "ZYpp <something>" :

6677 unique IPv4 addresses, 393 unique IPv6 ditto - about 6%.

apache goes very busy at times, easily hitting the ceiling at 150 active
clients. This was a bit surprising, we didn't expect that much
openSUSE activity in Switzerland (which has 2 other mirrors).

Because of this, I asked him to find out where all that traffic was
coming from and that is quite surprising:

123 different countries, 50 with more than 10 unique addresses. (IPv4
only). These are the top scorers:

country addrs
| us | 1115 |
| de | 768 |
| it | 658 |
| ch | 639 |
| es | 462 |
| fr | 315 |
| br | 312 |
| ru | 234 |
| ca | 143 |
| in | 131 |
| cn | 128 |
| mx | 120 |
| uk | 119 |
| za | 111 |
| pl | 105 |

Some of these are understandable - Italy, France and Germany all border
on Switzerland, maybe our mirror is better connected for some regions?
But USA, Brazil, Canada, India, China and Mexico?

Looking at Italy and Spain - Italy has only one mirror, tumbleweed/ is
outdated. update/ is outdated. Spain has only one mirror – address not
found “ftp.gui.uva.es”.

One country code noone immediately recognised - 'af'. Turns out to be
Afghanistan. Seems the Afghani Telecomms tried our mirror from more
than 50 addresses.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (10.8°C)