Re: [mirror] [suse-mirror] bad North American links on http://mirrors.opensuse.org/
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2017 10:46:47 +0200
Felix Miata wrote:

I clicked on all the North American HTTP links on
http://mirrors.opensuse.org/ trying to find which mirrors zypper
should be able to find.

http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/Suse/mirrorsNA20170727map.jpg shows a typical
best/preferred mirrors result from opening a .mirrorlist link.

Hi Felix

For which parts - e.g. distro, tumbleweed, ports, repos, isos?

Lately all such results have an Atlantic Ocean between them and my FL
location near Tampa, upwards of 6600km as the crow flies to the ENE.
By contrast, Provo is less than 3000km away, and most other NA mirrors
are closer, such as gatech.edu in Atlanta less than 450km distant.

My depressing findings are color coded on:
http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/SUSE/osmirrors201707.html

Most of what you have marked with yellow appears to be as expected - you
see no tick in the "repositories" column, so they don't mirror
/repositories. (or something is wrong with /repositories).

For e.g. http://opensuse.cs.utah.edu/, it is a bad mirror config - the
http content is not in /opensuse, just /, whereas the ftp:// side is
fine. (picked at random).

The ones you've marked with red are also disabled by mirrorbrain, no
ticked boxes on the right.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (22.9°C)