Re: [suse-mirror] Opensuse master rsync server performance
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2017 21:51:32 +0100
Carlos Carvalho wrote:

Richard Brown (rbrown@xxxxxxx) wrote on Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at
01:28:54PM BRT:
On Tue, 2017-02-21 at 15:32 +0000, Tim Bishop wrote:
On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 04:15:13PM +0100, Richard Brown wrote:
On Tue, 2017-02-21 at 08:27 -0300, Carlos Carvalho wrote:
Not here (opensuse.c3sl.ufpr.br). Last update took 18h40m with
a speed less than 1MB/s. That's not enough for the rate of
change of your repository.

Thank you Carlos, very useful to know the issue is more
widespread

If it's useful, here on mirrorservice.org our sync times are about
an hour for

rsync://stage.opensuse.org/opensuse-full/opensuse/

So that's significantly quicker. Maybe we're mirroring a smaller
set of data?

opensuse-full is one of the larger modules, so it's unlikely

We do opensuse-full-really-everything, every 4h. So it better
behave...

We do the same, but from rsync.opensuse.org and every hour. (and we omit
some of the subdirs).

It's always via IPv6,

Ditto.

so the significantly longer rtt is bad. BTW, your IPv6 seems to be bad
in other aspects, I've seen complaints here a few times about
rsync.opensuse.org losing it.

Yes, when that server is rebooted, it seems to lose the IPv6 address.

Note also that increasing bandwidth is only one element of the chain.
If the machine doesn't have enough ram to hold the directory info it
won't stand the load of all the rsync disk scans. stage.o.o must be
beefy, both in ram and disk performance.

Just getting the filelist takes quite a while at the moment -

3,592,529 files, 5.54T bytes (rsync.opensuse.org).

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (10.3°C)