[suse-mirror] FYI: ftp.sunet.se shutting down
Hello all archivists!

(I appologize for any dups, there where issues while sending)

This is going out on a broad scale to the last known admin contact address of
sites we are, or in the past have been, using as sources (and a few that did it
the other way around and used us as a source) for things we mirror(ed) on
ftp.sunet.se. This include things where we are not actively mirroring new
content but the old is still intact, so some of you may not have a clue of what
I am talking about while others may be surprised we're not long dead and gone
:-)

Either way, this is an attempt to catch at least most of the ones who DO know
of the mirror at our site in order to inform you that it is going to end, not
too long in the future. Some of them have been "just working" without human
interaction for ages, so if you know of a more appropriate contact please let
us know.

To the story;

After 20 years (although I've only been with it for the last 14) the end is
near!

It has been decided to decommision the ftp.sunet.se (also known as
archive.sunet.se in the last half decade of so) with the process starting in
September. It will be a rather slow process, starting with mirrors where we
know it exits good alternativs, giving the other ones a bit more time to find a
new home if needed (let us know). If you think we should simply drop your
mirrored files right away please let us know. If we are the only home for you
and you absolutely can not find an other then do the same and we will try to
keep them as long as possible.

Especially Linux (and perhaps BSD too?) distributions and services that
provides our host as an alternative during network installations or updates etc
should remove it in order to minimize the risk of end users getting caught with
a bad state.

Finally I would like to take the opportunity to thank you all for the time
past, and wich you all the best for the future!

Yours sincerely,

Emil Pedersen
archive@xxxxxxxxxxxx