Re: [suse-mirror] RFC: to akamai nor not?
On Freitag, 25. Februar 2011 Stephan Kulow wrote:
Hi,

We always used akamai the first hours after release, but it's not only very
complex to maintain, it was also said that it is not needed and might even
harm.

So I would like to know if you think we can do without for 11.4

One advantage of Akamai is their global presence.
It´s important to have the servers as close (from a latency POV) as possible
to the clients.

I don´t have enough insight in how the current mirrors are distributed across
the globe.
Even if we have a global presence we need to make sure that the right mirror
is selected.
Maybe the "geographical distance ordering" from MB 2.14 would help as well.

Greetings, Stephan

--
Christian Deckelmann
sds business services GmbH