Re: [suse-mirror] Blogging about 11.3 launch - THANKS!
On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 08:14:19PM +0200, Carsten Otto wrote:
Dear Keld,

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 07:32:54PM +0200, Keld Simonsen wrote:
My machines there are on the Danish research network, and close to the
Danish Internet exchange (DIX) - some 100 meters from it. We have 10 Gbit
on the university campus, but not (yet) to our machines.
I would think there is good connection
to German research network - I would think it would be a multi gigabit
connection. It should be good for multi 100 mbit/s traffic. - not just 10
Mbit.

Should, yes. In reality it is not.

Hmm, I don't understand why. I have contacted local geant2 people and
university people for an
explanation.

Do other mirror maintaners experience the same - that international connections
on eg. 10 gigabit geant2 lines are quite slow? I have a mirror speed test
program for pclinuxos that shows me that the max speed I ever get out
of international connections are about 40 Mbit/s, and generally these
mirrors have at least 1 gigabit connectivity and they are located on the
European research network.

I made some tests from my 2 servers with other Danish ISPs for the Aachen
site, and they were generally faster than the geant2 lines, but
still below 30 Mbit/s.

It is. In this case this was the automatic update for Firefox 3.6.7, so
roughly 20% of all (European?) Firefox users downloaded from our server.
This is a lot and in average we had 3 GBit/sec.

Impressive. How did you make the file system go that fast?
Would your 1 Gigabyte/s speed come out of the RAM or out of the
filesystem?

Best regards
keld